Senior Youth Development Practitioner
- Join a dynamic not‐for‐profit organisation, committed to supporting young people who live, work and play in Carlton, Collingwood, and Richmond!
- Attractive remuneration with salary packing to maximise your take home pay!
- Fantastic opportunity for an experienced youth participation practitioner ready for their next career challenge!
- Work with an affirmative employer where the workforce represents the diverse population they engage with!
About the Organisation
Drummond Street Services (DSS) is a non‐for‐profit, non‐denominational innovative and inclusive community-based organisation that provides family services, mental health and wellbeing, relationship counselling, parent support and education for families, children and young people that reflect the diversity of the communities in which we provide support. DSS has 130 years in the development and delivery of responsive services that strengthen families and communities with a strong focus on evidence‐based/informed practice. These responses are across the prevention and early intervention spectrum of universal and targeted support and reflect the contemporary lives of families.
- Parenting programs and community education that promote healthy strong families;
- Prevention programs throughout the family life cycle to increase families strength;
- Early intervention programs at key family transitions where families are particularly vulnerable, such as birth of a child and relationship difficulties;
- Tertiary programs to intervene in areas which impact on family relationships such as separation and divorce, family violence, mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse; and
- Maintenance programs which assist families which have negotiated difficulties such as separation and are re‐partnering.
Please note: This clip is an example of the drum's youth peer leader recruitment campaign in 2016.
It demonstrates how the youth peer leaders have direct impact on the way the drum works
About the drum ‐ Youth Services
the drum ‐ Youth Services is a vital part of DSS, as an agency with continues to lead family based mental health and wellbeing services in new and innovative directions. Our service reach is across Inner and North WEstern Melbourne and Geelong. the drum YS is contracted by the City of Melbourne and City of Yarra to deliver responsive services for diverse young people who live, work, and play in Carlton, Parkville, Richmond and Collingwood. This includes providing individual support within the context of family, including assessment, information and referral, case‐management, support, and counselling. The Drum compliments individual support with a range of public health initiatives including health promotion, early intervention and prevention. For example, we deliver a youth peer leadership program, community education seminars, and assertive community engagement programming to develop tangible pathways of support for socially marginalised/vulnerable people. We deliver international programming that seeks to lessen the impacts of structural disadvantage and social exclusion, with a specific focus on public housing residents, CALD young people and international students, and young people who identify as LGBTQI.
About the Opportunity
Drummond Street Services now has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Youth Development Practitioner to join their diverse team on a full-time basis in Melbourne, VIC.
In this highly rewarding and crucial role, you will be responsible for leading the Youth Peer Leader Programs by recruiting, training, supporting, and supervising young people from a range of diverse backgrounds. You will also create new and unique ways of working with these young people.
More specifically, your duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Leading and delivering best practice in youth programming across the public health spectrum, including health promotion and prevention, early intervention, as well as tertiary services and programs and activities that support recovery and connection;
- Identifying needs of young people via consultation and research to inform program planning to develop and implement activities promoting current and future health and wellbeing;
- Working collaboratively with other services to identify and address service gaps and client needs and promote this across the youth and community team;
- Taking leadership in supporting the youth and community team to design and implement research and evaluation activities including assisting young people to participate such activities; and
- Developing supervision skills whilst supporting a youth participation co-design process in an innovative and trans-disciplinary team.
To be successful in this role, you will have demonstrated previous experience in a similar position and/or will hold relevant qualifications in youth work, social work, community development or equivalent. You will also have a strong background in the implementation of youth participation programs and project management.
Additionally, you will also have demonstrated leadership experience in ensuring services are culturally inclusive and affirmative for young people, families, and communities.
As Drummond Street works with youth from the LGBTIQ, CaLD, refugee backgrounds, and Indigenous backgrounds, you will need to have the ability to conduct your work with a culturally sensitive approach.
Drummond Street also strongly encourages applicants from these culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
The successful candidate will also be a strong communicator with exceptional written and computer skills. Previous experience with digital platforms and social media platforms will be highly regarded.
To view the position description, click here.
About the Benefits
You will be joining a supportive and welcoming team of passionate professionals, dedicated to combating discrimination and marginalisation. The position requires you to have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends.
DSS is committed to the ongoing professional development of staff. You will enjoy monthly workshops, access to conferences (intra‐ and inter‐state), and support to study while you work if desired.
DSS will offer the successful applicant an attractive remuneration package in line with SCHADS level 4. Additionally, you will receive salary packaging opportunities up to $16,050 to significantly increase your take‐home pay!
Join an organisation that is making a difference within the lives of young people in inner‐city Melbourne ‐ Apply Now!